Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > General News > NEGS News Term 1 Week 2

NEGS News Term 1 Week 2

10 Feb 2024
Written by Tianna Kelly
General News

On Wednesday 7 February we celebrated 129 years since Florence Green opened our school.
Originally a rented cottage in town, ‘The Pines', NEGS (originally New England Girls' School) opened with a handful of students. Towards the end of 1895, land was purchased, and Akaroa was built.

Florence Green was remarkable:
- her strong Christian faith placed emphasis on creating a caring community
- she identified the importance of an innovative approach to teaching and curriculum for intelligent young women
- she encouraged young women to be thinking citizens, fully conversant with current events
- Florence promoted the health and physical development of her students by introducing daily calisthenics, outdoor games including tennis.

Florence’s vision and influence and all those who have followed have shaped the school to be the one it is today. I consider it a privilege to be the current Principal.

In addition, this week I would like to emphasise the importance of strong school and family engagement, prioritising two-way communication.

In the past week, we connected with our families at the Junior School meet and greet, boarding parent information session, and Safe on Social presentation; together we undoubtedly positively impact our students' academic, social and emotional outcomes. 

‘Whatsoever you do, do it heartily.’

Thank you for a great start to 2024.

It gives me great pleasure to welcome the following new staff to NEGS:

• Alisha Sharma - Health Centre Nurse
  • Erika Sorby - Visual Arts
  • Hester Wright - Boarding
  • Jordyn Snape - Agriculture
  • Kaye San Juan - Marketing and Development Officer
  • Naomi D’Arcy - Year 5 Teacher
  • Owen Chandler - IT Assistant
  • Peta Weston - Learning Enhancement & Waratah
  • Philipa Tlaskal - English/Languages
  • Tim Forgeard - English/HSIE

Featuring 3 of our new staff, we asked them a few questions about what they look forward to in becoming a part of the NEGS family. Here's Part 1, and we look forward to sharing more in the next newsletter. 

Exciting times ahead! I wish all the new staff the best, and we look forward to working with them. 

Ms Liz van Genderen

Principal

Erika Sorby

1. What is your role at NEGS and can you give us a brief background of your career before NEGS? 

I am the Visual Arts teacher. However, I am also teaching some technology classes and am the NEGS careers liaison for 2024.

I was born and grew up in Newcastle, NSW. I graduated with my teaching degree from the University of Newcastle. As a result of receiving a rural scholarship, I was placed at Narrabi High School. I taught there for a number of years before gaining a position at Calrossy Anglican School in Tamworth. I loved Tamworth, however, the COVID-19 pandemic impacted my teaching experience there, and after a number of years living alone out west, I looked to return home to my family. I spent the last two years teaching in both public and private schools in Newcastle. However, I longed for the sense of community and lifestyle I had enjoyed in Tamworth. That desire drove me to apply for the Art Teaching position here at NEGS!

2. What are you looking forward to in joining the NEGS community?

I'm looking forward to involving myself in my whole school life.

3. What inspires you each day? Motivates you to teach?

I am passionate about holistic education and how it is the school experience that builds character and values. I am inspired to shape strong, curious, kind young women who have the ability to make a difference in the world. I hope I can be a role model for them through my own passion and pursuits in the field of Visual Arts.

4. Are there any projects you are currently working on that may pique the interest of the students, parents, and/or staff?

As well as a teacher, I am also a practising artist. Feel free to look at my professional Instagram page @esorbyartist

5. A fun fact about you-

I am going to France in July for an Artist Residency at Chateau d'Orquevaux in Champagne!

Philipa Tlaskal

1. What is your role at NEGS, and can you give us a brief background of your career before NEGS? 

I am an English and French teacher at the senior school at NEGS. I have worked mostly in Girls' Education in Sydney prior to joining NEGS. I was fortunate enough to begin my career at SCEGGS Darlinghurst, St Clare's College Waverley and St Catherines School Waverley - all very inspiring environments for developing the characters of young women and all with a boarding aspect. I have also worked at a boys' school - Marist North Shore, and a public intensive English school in southwestern Sydney.

I am impressed by the close connection the NEGS girls have to nature and animals which city children generally do not have. The beautiful grounds filled with roses and the proximity to the horses that the girls love so much brighten my day. I already feel very welcomed by the close-knit NEGS community, such as at the Welcome BBQ.

3. What inspires you each day? Motivates you to teach?

The fascinating young people I teach and their passions, dreams and goals that I may nurture and encourage are a constant source of inspiration to me.

4. Are there any projects you are currently working on that may pique the interest of the students, parents, and/or staff?

My project this year as a newbie from Sydney is to discover Armidale and its surroundings, and I have had many helpful suggestions from students. Ice skating? The French Patisserie Cafe?! Blueberry picking in Dorrigo?

5. A fun fact about you

I have brought my brindle whippet Tigger with me from Sydney, who you may see me walking around Armidale.

Tim Forgeard

1. What is your role at NEGS and can you give us a brief background of your career before NEGS? 

I am returning to NEGS after two years away pursuing other options. I teach History in the Secondary School.

The NEGS Staff Team is one that I enjoy being a part of, and I missed it the minute I left. The school is a place of greater significance, both historically and in the role it continues to play in students' lives.

3. What motivates you to teach?

Offering classes the opportunity to see their place and moment in the wider stretch of human experience and endeavour.

The NEGS Community has always been a tight-knit family, fostering the school values of Integrity, Excellence, Responsibility, and Teamwork. With a rich heritage and more than a century of history, NEGS has come a long way since its founding in 1895.

Last year was very fruitful for the NEGS Community with improvements in infrastructure, student body, and school-wide and community events. This year, as our community and school grow, we'd like to nurture our primary strength - you, our families. The collective efforts of the teachers, parents and friends, and staff greatly impact NEGS growth and development.  

With this, we have created the Refer-A-Family Program and offer Sibling Discounts and Family Loyalty in our Junior School as our families move into the Senior School. If you would like to know more, please get in touch with our Enrolments team.

Our first 2024 Open Morning is coming up and will be held on 29 February. It provides the perfect opportunity for prospective families to visit the campus grounds and experience NEGS. Please share with family and friends who might be interested, or again, give our enrolment team a call.

We are committed to supporting our families and are excited to welcome our new ones this year. 

Sibling Enrolments

There is already strong interest in 2025, please get in touch with Katlyn if you have a sibling starting next year so we can process your application and confirm the enrolment ASAP. We have begun our interview process for 2025.

Thank you for your continuing support and, most importantly, your advocacy of NEGS.

Lyn O'Neill         Director of Marketing and Enrolments

lyn.oneill@negs.nsw.edu.au

Open Morning

With a return to the day-to-day of going to school, I took the opportunity to remind the students this week of the importance of getting back into routine and the “NEGS Way”. Here are some of the reminders that we covered.

Expectations:

Each student is responsible for contributing to their learning environment by being Punctual, Prepared and Positively engaged.

We should all speak to each other respectfully and with kindness.

Policies and procedures are in place to aid in the efficient running of the school and ensure the safety of all. Be across the ones such as Dress Code, Anti-Bullying and Code of Behaviour. All of which are in the front of their diary.

Be proud of yourself and your school, and let your actions, appearance, and decisions reflect this.

Choose kindness.

Respectful Relationships:

NEGS has zero tolerance for anti-social behaviour, and everybody must call out this negative behaviour. Have the courage to speak out.

Communication is key. Speak to your teachers, stage advisors, and house staff. Don’t let small things turn into drama, and take time to reflect before reacting.

Uniform:

Our uniform is part of our history; it is unique and a distinct part of our identity. Wear it proudly!

Be sure to get the small things right; wear belts, ribbons and hats. Don’t forget your blazer on Mondays and Thursdays for Assembly and Chapel. Our policy on jewellery is very clear only “one earring in each earlobe”.

When travelling outside the school, i.e. public transport, attending appointments during the school day, blazers and hats are to be worn.

Attendance:

Parents are reminded that school attendance is compulsory by law for children under 17 years of age. It is interesting to note that if a child has been attending school for 13 years at an average rate of 85%, by the end of Year 12, they will have missed more than 18 months of their education. NEGS prides itself on being considerate of the passions of our students and supports many of their co-curricular pursuits. We also value our academic endeavours and respect our staff's effort to deliver a comprehensive and well-taught program. 

We are constantly looking at ways to best support students who have extensive out-of-school commitments and ask that our students and parents work with us to ensure that students do not fall behind. 

When requesting leave for your child that includes missing a school day, please follow the process through Engage with an accompanying email to: Me at jamie.moore@negs.nsw.edu.au and Helen Smith at attendance@negs.nsw.edu.au 

Please note that, for boarders, putting leave in through Orah does not cover leave from the Day School.

I hope to connect with many of you next Monday via Zoom for our Senior School Parent Information Sessions. I do encourage you to attend as it allows us to provide an overview of the year for your daughter, and you will have the opportunity to ask questions. Please see below for the session times.

Mr Jamie Moore

Deputy Principal

IMPORTANT SENIOR SCHOOL PARENT INFORMATION SESSIONS - Monday 12 February

Senior School Parent's Information Session.

You will hear from

• Principal, Ms van Genderen
  • Deputy Principal, Mr Moore
  • Director of Learning and Teaching, Mr Caldwell
  • Your Stage Advisor - Mrs Lehmann, Mrs Chandler, Ms Willis

Stage Four (Yr 7 and Yr 8): 5:00pm - 5:45pm

Stage Five (Yr 9 and Yr 10): 5:45pm - 6:30pm

Stage Six (Yr 11 and Yr 12): 6:30pm - 7:30pm

There is one Zoom Link for this session; people will be admitted into the conversation from the waitroom when each session commences. 

ZOOM LINK: Join the meeting here

It has been wonderful to see all the smiling faces of our students and the positive energy on the Junior School playground. This week commenced with our first Junior School Assembly. Here, Ms van Genderen introduced our students to her new book, The Cat Who Taught Zen, a beautifully crafted exploration into the journeys we take for self-discovery and the connections we make along the way. This shared reading has become a highlight of our fortnightly assemblies. 

Monday night was our parent information session. This was a great opportunity to connect with our community, share classroom routines and discuss how we can ensure our students are set for success in their school day. 

Car Park 

As we enter the new year and with new families in our community, it is timely to revisit our car park usage and traffic flow.

1. The NEGS Junior School operates as a dual drop-off/collection system, whereby families can elect to park their cars and walk into the school grounds or utilise the drive-through facility. 
  2. The painted entry identifies the clear zone, therefore we ask that parents move to the parking spaces if the drive-through is full. 
  3. Please keep in mind the drive-through is to be a continuous flow. If your child is not ready for collection, you need to remain in your vehicle and rejoin the line. There is no parking in this zone.
  4. Students may only be dropped off at the curb of the drive through zone, please pull in and allow your children to step onto the pavement. For safety reasons, students are not allowed to weave through the cars.
  5. Parking is available, please feel free to park your car and greet your children in the playground.

Staff will be actively directing movement in this space over the coming weeks. Thank you for your continued support in making our school a safe space for all students.

I look forward to seeing your many faces over the upcoming weeks. In such a busy term, please ensure you continue reading the school newsletter and the MyNEGS page of the website for important information regarding school events.

Mrs Heidi Dent

Junior School Coordinator/Year 6 Teacher

Please click the HERE to read this week's Careers Newsletter.

Ms Erika Sorby

Visual Art Teacher/Careers

Most of our Term 1 sports have kicked off this week, with students choosing from a wide range of activities. Our different clubs are also getting organised with chess, art and coding calling for participants and our various ensembles and livestock club are getting underway. The school appreciates your patience as we finalise teams, routines, etc, and we will continue to send relevant information out as it comes to hand.

We look forward to welcoming Mark Knowles and Samantha May into our school today to run both Hockey and Netball clinics for all our students preparing to play those sports in Terms 2 and 3 before delivering community programs on Saturday.

Our swimming carnival is at the Armidale town pool next Friday, 16 February. Information has been sent out to all parents. The school is excited to host our first “whole school” event for the year and invites you to attend to support your son or daughter. Attendance is compulsory at this event unless otherwise approved by the Deputy Principal.

Mr Jamie Moore

Deputy Principal/Director of Sport and Activities

This afternoon, we had our first after-school Art Club. We worked on making clay tiles, pots and jewellery, which we will develop and decorate over the next few weeks.

All students Years 7-12 are welcome to attend. NEGS Art Club is on Wednesdays @ ART1, 3.30pm-5.30pm. 

Ms Erika Sorby

What a wonderful start to the year! Our closed weekend was very successful, and seeing the amazing courage and camaraderie displayed by all the students was heartwarming. The long bus trip went quickly with music, singing, and chatter. The time we spent at Treetops was a huge amount of fun. Many girls found it really challenging and learned something about themselves in the process. It was especially exciting for some who were convinced that they would not be able to do it and then discovered, with encouragement from other students, that they had a special something inside them that meant they could. As their guardian on the day, I was extremely proud of their behaviour, especially when we were leaving, and the Treetops staff commented on how nice it had been to have them there for the day.

Our first week has passed, and although it has had ups and downs for many new students, I am pleased to report that it has been an extremely positive start to the year. This is a good time to remind all parents, especially new families, that the most efficient way to find out what is really happening with your daughter is to contact their Head of House.

I have included contact details here for your convenience:

KIRKWOOD HOUSE - 0400 216 786. Weekdays – Miss Caitlyn Everingham, Weekends – Miss Hester Wright.

WHITE HOUSE: - 0482 525 862. Weekdays – Miss Alice Corbett, Weekends – Mrs Jenny Murphy.

On the subject of phones, it might help parents to know when they can contact their daughter. Phones are handed back in the mornings from 6.30am onwards in Kirkwood and at 7.20am in White. However, your daughter is not allowed to use it in the Dining Hall between 7.30am and 8.15am. Phones are kept locked in the boarding houses between 8.30am and 3.20pm, so you will not be able to contact them during that time. Between 3.20pm and 5.45pm boarders are allowed to have their phones – this is the best time to contact your daughter. Phones are collected at 5.45pm before dinner and not returned to students until the end of Prep. The earliest time you can contact your daughter is after 8pm in the evening. Hand in times for phones before bed varies with year groups, don't hesitate to get in touch with your Head of House if you wish to know exactly what time your daughter hands in each night.

Many of the girls are excited about seeing their parents at the Swimming Carnival on 16 February. If you are able to attend it is a wonderful event to share. This year, parents will be able to take their daughters out for the night before the carnival if they wish. The girls will need to return to school on the morning of the 16 to catch the school buses to the carnival and have their names marked on the roll. You can catch up with them again when they arrive at the Pool. There is also a parent (family) get-together booked in the Garden Bar of the Tatts Hotel on the evening of 15 February, which will be a great opportunity to connect with other parents. I look forward to seeing you there.

Mrs Kassy Cassidy

Head of Boarding

Welcome to Music in 2024!

2024 is going to be an exciting year for Music at NEGS! This year, there are many ways to be involved in musical activities across the school, from learning an instrument, joining one of the many choirs or ensembles or participating in the Culture Club. Culture Club is a group that attends concerts and other cultural activities in Armidale. Our first excursion is to see Australian jazz singer Emma Pask perform at the Armidale Town Hall on Thursday, 7 March. 

NEGS offers a wide range of instrumental and vocal lessons on site. We are fortunate to have a close relationship with New England Conservatorium of Music and with many highly skilled tutors visiting school for lessons. If you are interested in music lessons at NEGS please get in touch with our Music Administration Assistant. Tianna Kelly at music.admin@negs.nsw.edu.au.

Junior School Music Groups 

Saumarez Ensemble Monday 8:00-8:45am 

This is a mixed instrumental ensemble for any student in Years 1-6 who is learning an instrument or who would like to participate in marimba or percussion. 

Songbirds - Wednesday 8:00-8:45am 

This is an extension choir for those students who love to sing together. Songbirds is open for students K-6.

Senior School Music Groups

Flute Choir Monday 8:00am 

For any students who are learning the flute. They will be performing a beautiful selection of flute chorale music. 

Marimba Group - Monday Lunchtime

This is a vibrant ensemble for any student in Years 7-12 who would like to make music on marimbas. They will be performing a mixture of African, Latin American and popular music. 

NEGS Band - Tuesday Lunchtime

Band is designed for students who have had some experience on their instruments. They cater for strings, brass, woodwind, keyboard instruments and drums. They will be performing a wide range of music, including film and popular music. 

Vocal Ensemble - Wednesday Lunchtime

Vocal Ensemble is for any students in Years 7-12 who love to sing. They will be performing a mixture of tunes from Disney to Taylor Swift to some more classical choral repertoire.  

Drumline - Thursday Lunchtime

Drumline is a marching drum ensemble open to any students in Years 7-12. 

All extracurricular music ensembles begin next week. Please get in touch with Ms Curotta (laura.curotta@negs.nsw.edu.au) if you have any questions about NEGS ensembles or Culture Club.

Musically yours,

Laura Curotta

Music Teacher

Yesterday, Year 8 Mandatory Technology had a special cheese tasting for their unit “Delicious Dairy”, where we look at how dairy products are made and eventually eaten.

The girls liked most flavours except the blue!

Ms Erika Sorby

Community is at the heart of NEGS, so we share a heartwarming story from one of our parents, Kate.

We encourage you to read through and consider taking action for this cause. 

Running for a great cause...

"I am currently training hard for a marathon in Newcastle on 21st April in memory of my daughter Peta (forever 11yrs) who loved to run and who, in her fight against brain cancer, bravely endured so much always with determination, love and gratitude, and always with a beautiful smile on her face. Peta's younger sister Polly has just entered Yr 7 at NEGS. Peta was a very kind and thoughtful child, and used to greatly support Polly, who was only 8 when her older sister died.

Importantly, I am hoping to run the marathon to raise money for the Children's Cancer Institute. On average, 3 Australian children die every week from cancer, and between 1983 and 2015, the incidence rate of childhood cancer in Australia increased by 34% (this is mirrored elsewhere in other affluent countries). Research is desperately underfunded, with some childhood cancer treatments unchanged for 30 years.

Should anyone feel able to support my marathon efforts by donating even the smallest amount to Children's Cancer Insitute it would be wonderful and so greatly appreciated. Here is the link to my fundraising page http://www.ccia.org.au/fundraisers/katekane ".

Kate Kane

NEGS Mum

The NEGS P and F extend a warm welcome to our families, particularly our new families, to another year at NEGS.

We have some exciting events planned this year for us to come together and enjoy our special NEGS community. I look forward to meeting you throughout the year.

The P and F are holding our first meeting for the year next Wednesday, 14 February, at 6.00pm. All parents are invited and encouraged to attend, either in person in the W.H Lee Room (Akaroa) or via Zoom, the link to which is here:

We will run the BBQ and baked goods stall next Friday at the Swimming Carnival. We are calling for your help in providing baked goods - slices, cupcakes, biscuits, etc for sale at the stall. If you can help, please deliver your goodies either to Akaroa by 8.30am, or to the pool at 9.00am.

Please see links to the P & F AGM Minutes:

NEGSPF Minutes 29 Nov 2023 AGM

AGM 29 Nov 2023

Mtg 29 Nov 2023

NEGS FAMILY GATHERING

A casual family gathering is planned for next Thursday, 15 February, outside in the garden at the Tattersalls. We thought this would be a perfect opportunity for both day and boarding families coming to town for the Swimming Carnival to meet for a casual dinner. Please register via the link so we can ensure we have booked enough tables.

https://community.negs.nsw.edu.au/event/negs-family-catch-up

Similar stories

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech